Copy Editor in Washington, DC, USA
The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy has an immediate opening for a copy editor.
This position will work closely with the Editorial Manager to provide editorial support, with the aims of improving and maintaining the quality and quantity of TIMEP’s publications, as well as reviewing the institute’s external communications. The copy editor will additionally collaborate with the Editorial Manager on the development of the editorial agenda, creation of editorial guidelines, and expansion of the institute’s editorial program.
The hourly commitment for this position is flexible (a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week is required) and there is the option for remote work.
This is a Twine Enterprise project. You need to be a Twine Pro to pitch. Click here to learn more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Edit copy for articles (1,000–1,500 words each, 5–6 per month), briefs (1–3 pages, 1–4 per month), reports (10+ pages, 4–6 per year), projects (varied), and assorted other publications
- Draft and edit copy for shorter public documents and text, such as event invitations, website copy, and social media postings (ongoing)
- Edit copy for institutional reports, including grant applications and reports
- Collaborate with Editorial Manager to conduct first review of pitches and drafts
- Communicate with authors at various stages of the editorial process
- Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience with editing, proofreading, and writing required. Editorial or journalistic experience strongly preferred.
- Experience as a copy editor strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills required. Demonstrates the ability to express ideas, thought and concepts clearly in writing, using correct and appropriate grammar, organization, and structure.
- Experience and knowledge relevant to TIMEP’s mission strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in the Arabic language preferred.
- Excellent proofreading and attention to detail required.
- Experience with Google applications, MS Office (Word, Excel, Publisher) Adobe and Internet.
- Ability to evaluate, select and act on a strategy for solving problems and meeting objectives before being asked or required to do so.
- Ability to allocate appropriate amounts of time for completing work, to develop timelines and milestones, and to identify more critical and less critical activities and assignments to adjust priorities when appropriate.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, to manage competing demands, to change approach or method to best fit the situation, and to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information and to collect and research data.
- Ability to connect with others to ensure the timely completion of tasks and establish a system to follow up on projects, tasks, and assignments.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The individual is occasionally required to stand or walk; use hands to handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The individual must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Proofreading: 2 years (Required)
Hours per week:
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-350 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
Twine can guarantee 3 relevant freelancers for an upfront fee of $650/£500. Would you like to know more?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions:
Show your interest:
Not sure what to write? Use a template:
When are you available to work on this project?
What's your rate for this job?
Enter your day rate if there's not enough information or it's an ongoing project. You can change this after speaking with the client.
How long will it take? (Optional)
If there's enough information, give an estimate of how long this job will take.
What's your usual day rate? (Optional)
Set your deposit rate:
If approved, the buyer will pay a deposit of 80%