Senior Writer in Washington, DC, USA 🌎
WHO WE ARE
Truth Initiative is America’s largest non-profit public health organization dedicated to making tobacco use a thing of the past. We speak, seek and spread the truth about tobacco through education, tobacco-control research and policy studies, community activism and engagement, and innovation in tobacco dependence treatment.
WHO YOU ARE
The Truth Initiative communications team is seeking to hire a highly experienced freelance senior writer/journalists who is creative, strategic and detail-oriented to develop compelling communications on a variety of topics including: tobacco, vaping, opioids and public health affairs for multiple end uses including press releases, speeches, talk points, presentations, quotes/statements, articles, op-eds, and social media platforms. The ideal candidate will be able to develop fresh and interesting content/communications on a regular basis and on deadline. He or she must have a firm grasp of AP style and the ability to write and edit material efficiently while ensuring factual accuracy and clarity of presentation.
- Concepts, writes and edits a variety of communications pieces for Truth Initiative with quick turn time around as directed by the Chief Communications Officer, VP of Communications
- Supports Managing Editor and Content Manager for Communications on content for the overall editorial strategy as directed/needed
- Works closely with researchers to write reports, shape messaging, and communicate insights to audiences as directed/needed
- Excellent writing skills
- Minimum 3-5 years experience writing and/or editing in a digital newsroom
- Passion for news and storytelling and a proactive approach to pitching and executing articles, communications
- An ability to find the narrative in research and communicate it to audiences
- Close attention to detail – an ability to write clean, clear copy on deadline
- Tobacco, opioid, vaping, public health knowledge a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications
- Salary is commensurate with experience with EXCELLENT benefits.
- Interested candidates should submit a resume with salary history, and cover letter here
Mail application materials to:
No telephone calls please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability.
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-350 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions:
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page