Assistant Designer in London, UK 🌎
At New Look, everything we do is for the love of fashion. Without following that core belief, we wouldn’t be where we are now. But, what else does it take to be one of the biggest brands on the UK’s high street? We think that it comes down to our employees and our mission to be the go-to destination for men’s, women’s and teen’s clothing and accessories.
Our motto? Keep it simple. Be brave. Think customer. Act with pace. Take responsibility. That’s the New Look way. If that sounds like you, we’d like to have you on our team! We’re always searching for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to take New Look to exciting places.
What does our Design team do?
We Identify and design key trends for each season and translate these into accessible, broad appeal products for our Customers. We work really closely with Buying and Merchandising to ensure we are closely aligned on what we design and how this aligns with all the great products we buy.
We are looking for an experienced assistant designer to join the denim & casual bottoms Womens wear design team here at New Look. We are looking for someone to put the customer requirements at the center of the product offer to develop and deliver a commercial and profitable range that maximises sales opportunity. To be responsible for the Design strategy by assisting the Senior Designer in designing and developing core range(s) in line with current trend, customer profiles, and brand direction.
- To assist the Designers in the creation of new product concepts in line with the product strategy
- Researching relevant lifestyle trends, product trends, colour trends, fabric trends and new trims & garment details
- Identifying new Product opportunities
- Working with other Designers within the business area and where relevant across the business to share ideas and identify new opportunities
- Providing input to the Product strategy for the relevant department
- Assist in the production of trend packs, catwalk presentations, sourcing packs and department specific briefs
- Assisting the Designers to achieve other strategic objectives for the sub-brand or product department
- Identifying and delivering detailed trend reports from catwalks
- Completing and reporting back on NL store visits and competitor shops
- Supporting with trend research using websites, ecommerce sites, lifestyle blogs and social media
- Contributing ideas in design team discussions
- An understanding of the New Look Customer
- Basic understanding of our Customer Insight and Market Share
- Actively contributing in trend and competitor analysis, making recommendations for changes or developments
- Ongoing familiarity of the competition’s product range
- Supporting with the development of fellow colleagues
- Collaboratively working with Merchandising, Design and Technical colleagues
- Previous experience as an Assistant Designer within a major retailer / department within New Look / Established Supplier
- Fashion Qualification / Other degree desirable ideally at Degree Level
- Mac literate - Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel, Word, Adobe Suite, In design
- Factory ready tech pack creations (including AD technical skills)
- Confidently fit and approve garments
- Trend Aware
- Understanding of commercial garment / product construction methods
- Understanding of how to translate fashion trends into commercial product opportunities
- Good interpersonal / communication skills
- Organisational skills
- Broad understanding of current competitive marketplace (comparative shopping)
- Customer knowledge
- Good presentation skills
- Can work under pressure whilst maintaining a positive attitude
- Communicate effectively with all internal and external teams
In depth knowledge of denim not necessary but would be good If you have some understanding and interest within the area.
PLEASE SEND THROUGH A COPY OF YOUR PORTFOLIO/WORK EXAMPLES TO ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION
Why New Look?
Our internal career progression is celebrated and encouraged. Plus, we offer bonus schemes, season ticket loans, a huge staff discount of 40% and amazing deals across a number of different businesses.
If you’re still not convinced…
- Every Friday we finish at 4pm – hello weekend!
- You’ll receive monthly privilege vouchers for family and friends to enjoy 25% off – spread the love!
- Grab yourself a bargain at our quarterly sample sales – when the discount isn’t enough!
- Receive 24/7 access to the Retail Trust, a confidential and independent service for people in retail – because your mental health is important to us!
- Agile working environment - we have open break out spaces and state of the art coffee and tea stations throughout our offices – we know the importance of a diverse environment!
Still want to be a New Looker? We guessed you would! Apply now to find out more.
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-400 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions:
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page