Assistant Project Manager in London, UK 🌎
Department: Programme Services
Department detail: Technology Programmes
GSMA Entity: Mutual
Location: London, UK
Position type: Contractor
Reporting to: Programme Manager, eSIM
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem. Our mission is to further the strategic, commercial, technological, developing world and advocacy interests of our members. The GSMA produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series conferences.
Every day we work to harness the power of mobile to achieve our industry purpose – Connecting Everyone and Everything to a Better Future – through four main activities:
- We provide strategic direction and thought leadership to our members
- We drive collaborative industry programmes aimed at maintaining operator relevance in the digital world
- We advocate for the industry to regulators, policy makers and society as a whole
- We convene the broad mobile communications ecosystem at our industry leading events
About the Team
The Programme Services Team in the GSMA provides project and programme management staff to deliver projects and change initiatives across the mobile industry. This role is employed by the Programme Services team to work on the eSIM Project within the eSIM Project Team.
The eSIM Project is making SIM cards purely electronic, and updatable over the air. It is an exciting project that effects the whole mobile industry. We have representatives from around 80 companies, including mobile operators, device manufacturers (including Apple, Samsung and Google) and SIM vendors. We are devising a solution that will be agreed by the whole mobile community and become a new standard.
See recent press articles about eSIM such as speculation about Apple’s use of eSIM, and Microsoft eSIM products in Sweden.
What the hiring manager says
“A chance to work on a project that will significantly affect how people use their mobile phones in the next few years, while developing project management skills and working with a great team. You should have some experience of project work.”
About the Role
The project is delivered by partnering with over 80 mobile operators, device manufacturers and SIM vendors. You will:
- Organise internal and external meetings and events for the team and GSMA members, including logistics, invitations, documents and follow up
- Manage updates to the project web pages, upload documents to the GSMA’s members database and manage project information
- Write clear, well-structured emails and meeting notes, ensuring accuracy of spelling and grammar, including editing short documents written by non-native English speakers
- Monitor mail boxes and forward issues to relevant team members
- Assist with planning and delivery of key documents, including GSMA document approval processes
- Work alongside the Programme Services PMO, to maintain and improve project management standards. This applies especially to project reporting, budget management and risk and issue management
- Create purchase orders and assist with budget tracking
- Assist with project risk and issue identification and management, including lessons learnt
- Potential to get involved with reporting, and take responsibility for small projects
The ideal candidate will display the following qualities:
- Excellent and proven organisational skills, ability to manage concurrent activities without losing focus, and manage priorities effectively
- Proven experience of undertaking project work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to build effective business relationships
- Good attention to detail and use of excellent English in communications
- A working level understanding of good project management practices and processes, or interest in developing this understanding
- Willingness and confidence to present in team meetings
- Familiarity with budget management tools and processes, including Microsoft Excel
- Good office IT skills, including Microsoft Office products, especially Outlook, Word and Powerpoint
- Enthusiasm for the mobile industry and an interest in eSIM
- Self-starter able to work under own initiative, who takes ownership of own responsibilities and seeks to proactively develop their role and skills
- Graduate level qualification or relevant experience preferred
What We Offer
Working at the GSMA offers you unparalleled access to the mobile industry. We offer a chance to truly shape the direction of mobile, whatever your role. By joining the GSMA, you will be exposed to a fast-paced rapidly evolving environment, working on global solutions, genuinely fascinating and industry-changing projects and a stimulating and dynamic environment designed to enable you to flourish.
We offer a working environment that reflects our organisational values. We also hire in line with our values and recruit candidates who demonstrate a strong affinity with these 7 principles:
- DREAM BIG - Demonstrate vision and insight to lead the industry forward
- BE BOLD - Have the courage to take risks and make tough decisions
- OWN IT - Take full accountability for your decisions and actions
- WORK AS A TEAM - Collaborate to deliver impactful results
- DO THE RIGHT THING - Conduct yourself with honesty and integrity at all times
- SHOW RESPECT - Treat others as you would expect to be treated
- LOVE WHAT YOU DO - Bring passion and pride to your work
To learn more about the GSMA, visit our careers site, our LinkedIn page and our Twitter page.
The GSMA is committed to providing a working culture that is inclusive to all. We believe that having a diverse workforce will help us meet the needs of our global membership. We will not tolerate discriminatory behaviour of any kind and we offer equal opportunities for all aspects of employment and advancement regardless of race, nationality, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, religious or political belief, caste or tribe, or military status.
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-400 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions:
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page