Graphic Artist 📍 Jacksonville, United States
Are you a graphic designer who’s been working freelance for years hoping to find that one steady client to be your bedrock. Or perhaps you’re recently out of school with a killer portfolio and looking for the right opportunity to get your foot in the door with a great company and build experience.
The Resident Community News Group, Inc. is looking for a highly motivated and talented graphic designer to join our team as a part-time member under the direction of our Art Director. The ideal candidate is someone who loves both print and digital design, is looking to get their foot in the door of the publishing industry and grow with a thriving local company. There is opportunity to work on a wide range of projects from ad design, page layout, marketing, branding, web, social media and to learn from a great team of individuals who are experts in their craft.
Who is The Resident Community News Group, Inc.
We are a publishing company based in Jacksonville, Florida that’s been producing quality local publications for over 10 years. We produce two monthly community newspapers called The Resident, that cover the historic districts of Jacksonville along with two annual high production value magazines, Historic Life and Circles.
Historic Life is a guide for people moving into the historic districts. It features information on each of the historic neighborhoods along with essential information regarding local businesses, schools, healthcare, churches, sports and recreation.
Circles is the biggest publication we produce and garners a lot of attention for its high production value and excellent content. Circles is the ultimate resource to the charities and non-profit organizations in Northeast Florida. Jam packed with a charity register, social datebook, special features and in depth articles about all the organizations and people who make Northeast Florida one of the most giving communities in the country.
We are a small close-knit family of 7 full-time staff members and a handful of freelancer writers, photographers and designers. We are all passionate about our jobs and work very hard to be the leader in local community news and a valuable resource to our readers and advertisers.
Under the guidance of the Art Director and Publishers you will assist or be fully responsible for but not limited to the following types of tasks and projects:
- Design print and digital ads for our clients
- Create marketing materials (print and digital) to support our sales staff
- Create social media posts and post articles to our website
- Manage aspects of our photo gallery website.
- Assist in page layout and design
- Collaborate with the Art Director on design ideas for publications.
- 1-5 years of graphic design experience
- 4 year degree in graphic design (preferred).
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.
- Strong typography and layout skills
- Strong grasp of the elements and principles of design.
- Some web knowledge (basic HTML, CSS and Word press knowledge a huge plus)
- Must be very organized and able to handle multiple ongoing tasks.
- Can take constructive criticism
- PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS!
- Can work in a fast paced environment with multiple deadlines
- Will work onsite so you must have reliable transportation to and from our offices
- Must love problem solving!
- MUST love print design and publications (we are in the print industry)
- Must be committed to the job!
- Must be available 20-25hrs a week(Schedule will be determined upon hiring and on a monthly basis)While this job is part-time, the publishing industry has very strict deadlines. The applicant must be able to adjust their schedule to meet the demands of the job when necessary. The last two weeks of every month are the most hectic and will require flexible availability such as the ability to work extended hours as needed which could include a couple late nights or a weekend day or two at the end of every month.
- Be apart of a company with a long and cherished history within the community.
- Opportunity for growth within the company that is also seeing tremendous growth.
- Learn from an Art Director with over 10 years of publication design experience at the highest level.
- Work on a wide range of design projects
- Enjoy occasional bonuses such as gift cards to local restaurants.
- Be part of a family who takes care of their own and holds each other accountable
- Work for ownership who truly value dedication, hard work and will show their appreciation for it.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and a link to your portfolio. In your cover letter, in addition to why you think you’re a great fit for this job and why you want to work for the Resident please include a little bit about yourself, like your hobbies and interests as well as why you love print design and/or printed publications.
If you do not provide a cover letter and a link to your portfolio your application will be rejected.
- $15.00 to $20.00 /hour
- relevant: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Jacksonville, FL 32205 (Required)
- Other forms
- One location
- Flexible schedule
Hours per week
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your hourly rate budget range? (USD)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions:
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page