Graphic Designer 📍 Los Angeles, United States
USC Auxiliary Services, one of the largest divisions at The University of Southern California, is focused on making a difference for over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, staff, and guests who visit our campuses each day. Through our innovative services, our six central business units (USC Bookstores, USC Hospitality, USC Housing, USC Transportation, the USC Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Sports Arena) collectively create the best USC experience for future leaders, scientists, filmmakers, engineers, and doctors alike. Auxiliary Services works tirelessly to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family and we are driven to succeed by our commitment to USC’s core values.
We are seeking a Graphic Designer to join our rapidly growing team.
The Graphic Designer works closely with the Creative Director and Project Manager to combine art and technology to conceptualize, design, and execute digital and print products. Projects include designing apparel, catalogs, eBlasts, certificates, menus, websites, logos, and other client requests. The Graphic Designer is responsible for creating the visuals to ensure our guests and employees have the best USC experience.
- Assists with quality control by proofing artwork for submission, identifying the size and arrangement of layout using knowledge of layout principles and design concepts.
- Designs art and copy layouts for materials such as illustrations, publications, graphs, charts, brochures, certificates, flyers, posters, slide presentations, etc. to be presented by visual media
- Prepares presentation graphics for slides, overheads, etc. Uses computer software packages to manipulate images. Produces a variety of freehand artwork (e.g. drawings, illustrations, logograms, etc.)
- Prepares computerized typeset documents using publishing and page layout software
- Works with clients to advise, create modify and execute design standards and solutions to visual media objectives and/or requirements
- Works with advertising and/or marketing representatives to integrate copy and graphics most effectively. Determines size and arrangement of illustrations and copy. Selects type style and size. Arranges layout according to space availability and using knowledge of layout principles and design concepts
- Studies illustrations and photographs to plan presentation of materials, products or services. Creates samples of finished layout and presents to client and/or supervisor for approval, as required
- Prepares specifications for work to be performed by others. Reviews and proofs production work and suggests improvements. Assists with coordination of work performed by freelance artists, vendors, student workers and/or other departments
- Leads others performing similar work on a project basis
- Sets production schedules and meeting deadlines for design projects. Develops and manages budget for specific projects
- Provides exception customer service to all faculty, staff, students and other Design Studio partners
- Assists with quality control by proofing artwork for submission, identifying the size and arrangement of layout principles and design concepts
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining good working relationships with key members of Auxiliary Services and other University offices
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Associate’s Degree
- Experience: 2 years
- 1-2 years of related experience in photography, social media, web design and video editing.
- Education in graphic or industrial design.
- Artwork preparation and printing.
- Typography, printing processes, selection of paper or other printing surface.
- Paper folding, binding and finishing.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills. Experience interacting with and assisting clients.
What We Prefer
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Work experience emphasizing retail sales/promotion design
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Bachelor’s degree Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Understanding of design issues, including browser usability and cross-platform compatibility. Solid foundation in studio design, typography, printing and layout. Work experience as a visual/graphic designer covering all aspects of artwork preparation, printing, and website creation. Requires thorough knowledge of typography, printing processes, selection of paper or other printing surfaces, and paper folding, binding and finishing. Knowledge of desktop publishing systems and specialized equipment related to periodical production.
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-400 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page