Overlay is a sustainability data management platform for financial institutions. We are an early-stage startup team incubated in ING Bank’s Innovation Lab.
Within the next decade, trillions of investment will flow into sustainable investments to reach the carbon neutrality goals that government and business are increasingly setting. We’re building a data management layer that increases accuracy and efficiency for financial institutions in handling information about sustainability to enable those carbon neutrality objectives to be met.
We are looking for a React engineer to join our team and take ownership over building out our front end web interface, which enables our customers to visualise carbon impact data against financial data.
You would collaborate with an experienced team of entrepreneurial product, design, commercial and technical people and have the opportunity to be influential in the way that we design our systems.
The role is initially on a contract basis, with the intention that as we develop our product with our early customers there would be an opportunity to have a longer-term role with the initiative.
In this role you would
- Build out the front end interface for our initial product
- Iterate with our UI, UX and product team based on user feedback
- Collaborate with our tech lead to make decisions about technology choices
- Develop prototypes for new interfaces to support user research
- Be trusted to own the development process for parts of the software
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting
- Collaborate with our security consultant to verify compliance with security measures
- We’re looking for someone with experience in the following:
- Working on a small software / design team
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
- Implementing React-based web applications
- Collaborating with designers to implementing design systems
- Building responsive interfaces suitable for multiple device sizes
- Familiarity with consuming GraphQL APIs
Nice to have
It would be helpful but not essential if you have experience in:
- Implementing server-side GraphQL resolvers in Node.js
- Working with React Storybook
- Experience with interacting with GraphQL APIs using Apollo Client
- Securing React applications in an enterprise environment
The stack you’d be working with
- Interactive graph and data visualisation libraries
- React, Next.js
- Apollo (Server and Client)
- Node.js resolvers
- DynamoDB / PostgreSQL / SQL Server
- Serverless functions
- Azure (with Azure DevOps + CI/CD)
- Work on tech with a vision to reduce the impact of climate change
- Opportunities to work flexibly and remote
- Dedicated fintech innovation lab environment with hosted events and networking opportunities
- Central London location at Moorgate
- Access to an on-site gym
- On-site canteen
- Prayer / contemplation / meditation room
The role is on a freelance basis and has been evaluated as being within the scope of the new IR35 legislation. This means that ING would contract with you personally or via an umbrella company while we are being incubated in the ING Lab.
If this sounds like you, or where you aspire to be in your career, please get in touch!
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$300-500 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
No, we can work online
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page