Contract Web Designer in Boston, MA, USA
STAT is a national news publication for the health and life science industries. Our mission is to deliver fast, deep, and tough-minded journalism from the places that matter to our readers — research labs, hospitals, executive suites, and political campaigns.
This is a Twine Enterprise project. You need to be a Twine Pro to pitch. Click here to learn more.
We’re looking for a freelance Web Designer to join our Product Team. This position will be expected to be available for 10-15 hours on a weekly basis and report to the Senior Product Designer. The candidate is ideally based in Boston, but we are open to remote. This position will be responsible for creating a variety of visual assets, web and some print, to be used primarily by our marketing team. You will also work with the Senior Product Designer to help ensure any assets and deliverables are consistent with the look and feel of the STAT brand, specifically within the context of marketing materials. The ideal candidate has a firm understanding of and passion for user-centric design, both in print and web form. He/she is detail-oriented, organized, and has the ability to think strategically about developing design templates and pattern libraries.
- Support the marketing team’s print and digital design needs (i.e. ads, emails, event invitations, powerpoint decks, social media images, etc.)
- Work with the Senior Product Designer to develop a template strategy for recurring marketing assets
- Maintain a consistent aesthetic across all materials according to defined brand strategy
Minimum Skills and Experience
- 2-3 years of visual design experience for both print and web
- Proficiency with Adobe CC, specifically Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Strong understanding and belief in user-centric design
- Demonstrated expertise in typography, layout, illustration, and visual hierarchy
- Demonstrated experience working with established branding and style guides
- Strategic thinking as it relates to brand consistency and atomic design principles
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable sharing work early and often and appreciate feedback
Familiarity with responsive design principles
Bonus points for:
- Interest in journalism and life science and health news
STAT (as part of Boston Globe Media) is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
Please apply with a copy of your cover letter, resume, and portfolio.
- Part-time, Contract
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-350 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
Twine can guarantee 3 relevant freelancers for an upfront fee of $650/£500. Would you like to know more?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions:
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page