Design Manager in Luton, UK 🌎
This job advert is fairly boring. Not the job; the job is a great opportunity in a dynamic, fun and growing company. The advert is boring. It needs a bit of life. A bit of colour.
That’s where you come in.
The Industrial & Commercial Operations Network (ICON) is searching for someone to help develop the visual aspects of our brand and make our bold, design-led mark in the energy and environmental sectors.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a small team to design great visual content for the company. This includes printed and digital media, website and app design, email marketing and landing page design as well as routine weekly pdf’d reports.
The role is ideally suited to someone brimming with ideas and looking to take their first management role in a supportive and inclusive company.
Who are we?
ICON is a small organisation established to educate and represent energy and environmental managers. We have built an online application to help with compliance and knowledge share, we represent large energy consumers in conversation with government and regulators (e.g. Ofgem) and we run webinars, workshops and events to educate and support our subscribers.
We are still in start-up phase - incorporated in 2018 - but bring with us over ten years’ experience in the energy sector and an extensive network of contacts and influencers; our customers include some of the biggest names in utilities.
Who are we looking for?
Firstly, you must be competent with Adobe Indesign and Acrobat Pro. The ability to use html/CSS and other Adobe packages such as Dreamweaver would be advantageous.
Secondly, you need to be a team player.
We are a small company so it is important that you are able and willing to contribute ideas, to learn from team members who know things you don’t, and to teach junior members of the team where you have skills they lack.
This position is best suited to a ‘roll-up your sleeves and get stuck in’ type of person. Being a start-up, we work to tight budget constraints so the ability to use resources wisely and effectively is essential, as is thinking on your feet and being able to adapt to changing priorities.
You will have the creative freedom to develop our brand and see your plans come to life, working directly with the company’s founder.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Lead Designer will have the following day to day responsibilities:
- Take the lead role in constantly improving our digital, print and marketing presence by developing a strong, cohesive brand.
- Maintain a consistent visual tone across ICON’s online and offline media
- Create graphic and HTML content for both educational and promotional purposes
- Work with third parties on web design (you will design, others can code) to include UX design, storyboarding, wire-framing and, if possible, basic Wordpress management
- Design and manage Email Marketing and Landing Pages
- Turn data into compelling design – for example through the use of infographics
- Laying out written information in an engaging and interesting way to boost readership of educational literature
- Help to organise events and workshops taking lead responsibility for audio-visual materials
- Undertake other activities as required, including but not limited to dealing with customers and suppliers over phone and in person, marketing and PR activities and basic administrative tasks
- Mentor and manage junior designer and other team members as appropriate
- Maintain an organised filing system of paper and electronic documents
- Uphold a strict level of confidentiality
- Develop and sustain good relationships among internal and external contacts
- Act as an ambassador for energy management, bringing an upbeat but professional feel to the ICON brand
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Excellent visual and verbal communication skills.
- Experience using Adobe InDesign and Acrobat software (experience in other design packages plus a demonstrable willingness to learn will be considered)
- Experience with website design and/or content management would be highly advantageous
- Strong creative skills with a flair for bringing personality to every situation
- Highly professional but not afraid to be playful
- Good team player and open to sharing ideas
- Kind but firm in dealing with others and ready to step into a leadership/mentorship role
What we can offer
In return for your hard work and dedication, we can offer:
- Friendly, welcoming environment in a small team that look out for each other and pull together
- Flexible working as standard with the ability to work from home or office and manage your own diary, around our core hours of 10:00 - 15:00, Monday to Friday
- 28 days’ holiday (in addition to the 8 public holidays)
- An additional day’s leave on your birthday or within your birthday week.
- Support as you develop your own career with creative and managerial progression available to anyone with a the design aptitude and a positive attitude
- Starting salary up to £28,000 pro rata, depending on experience
- Staff wanting to work part time are encouraged to apply.
Excellent creative abilities, a positive attitude and approachable manner are the most important assets for this role.
Please note, we usually receive a high number of applicants to every job we advertise. To be considered, please include a cover letter outlining what attracted you to the job and samples of, or a link to, a video or graphic portfolio.
Automated one-click applications will not be accepted unless such a link is included.
- Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
- £20,000.00 to £28,000.00 /year
- design: 3 years (Preferred)
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-400 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions:
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page