Art Editor 📍 London, United Kingdom
Music Week has been the leading trade media brand for the UK music industry for over 50 years, and is essential reading for anyone who needs to understand the business of music, from vinyl to streaming, from the Dublin Castle all the way to Wembley Stadium.
As well as covering industry news as and when it happens, our editorial team creates exclusive content that delves deeper into key industry issues. We have unrivalled access to the most powerful music business executives, both in the UK and abroad, and our unique relationships with a variety of trade bodies and chart providers, including the UK’s Official Charts Company, means we are able to analyse the data and trends that lie behind the modern music industry.
The Art Editor is responsible for all creative output of their assigned brand in accordance with company policies and objectives, adhering to budgets and deadlines. Managing workload, Identifying areas for improvement and commercial opportunities to make their brands best-in-class.
Reporting to the Senior Art Editor, they will lead/initiate creative processes such as cover reviews for the brands and ensure feedback from their peers is implemented.
- Responsible for all creative output for assigned brand
- Design, commissioning and co-ordinating of freelance and/or in-house resource
- Keeping within budget and deadlines
- Working with the magazine Editor and Editor in Chief to develop their brand’s creative output
- Focus on design, attention to detail and magazine craft – highlight any areas for development, Issue planning & workflow
- Contributing to cover and issue planning
- Identify workflow issues – when problems arise or are anticipated make recommendations as to how they can be resolved.
- Ensure creative output is fit for purpose and best-in-class
- Oversee cover concept work for assigned brands
- Lead in the cover review process, making sure covers are reviewed by the Senior Art Editor, Head of Design, Content Director and Brand Director in a timely fashion
- Photography and illustration
- Commission and art-direct photo shoots/illustration when required
- Take responsibility for the quality of the photography/illustration on assigned titles
- Ensure photographers/illustrators have an approved contract, and all published material has the correct rights assigned prior to publication
- Ensure that Future has all necessary licenses and rights for photography and illustration published.
- Ensure that all rights-tagging is completed accurately
What do I need to succeed?
- Professional experience of Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience of working on B2B or newsstand consumer magazines, monthly or weekly
- Great communications skills – working within a busy team means you’ll need to be able communicate with each other quickly and effectively
- Great organisational skills – there’s a lot to do each issue so you’ll need to prioritise your efforts to hit deadlines
- You must be good at working under pressure – we need someone who thrives in a fast paced environment and can think on their feet!
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference – get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what’s next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
- Give something back- Future will match your personal charity fundraising efforts up to £300
We are Future
We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives. Together, we connect people to their passions through the high-quality content we create and the innovative technology we pioneer. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join!
Future is the name behind market-leading brands in specialist sectors across technology, gaming & entertainment, music, creative & photography, hobbies, knowledge and home interest.
We’re dedicated to creating loyal fans of our brands, and the number is growing all the time. Our global reach is phenomenal with over 250 million consumers across 180 + world-leading brands. It’s an incredible privilege to have such a passionate audience base across our websites, magazines, social media and events.
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-400 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
- Public questions
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page